I am writing this tips as a note to myself.
As a SharePoint developer I run my SharePoint 2010 development inside a VM. As times goes by I found myself short of hard disk spaces. Following these steps helped to alleviate the problem:
- Open up your SQL database where SharePoint is installed
- Find the database where its log file is taking up lots of space, in most situations it would be Sharepoint_Config.
- Right click the database -> Properties -> options and now change recovery mode from full to simple
- Right click database again -> Tasks -> shrink -> database then click Ok. This will shrink the SharePoint_Config_log.ldf file
- Finally change the recovery mode to full by following a similar step as #3
Please do not use this technique in prod environment as you normally would require to have a normal database backup process.